Welcome to my Arsenal blog for the 2015/16 season; here you can check out my thoughts on the current goings on at the club.
Latest News: Arsenal draw 3-3 with Liverpool, goals came from Ramsey and Giroud (x2) - match thoughts to come!

Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Last gasp header from Song rescues Arsenal

Alex Song rescued Arsenal from a 0-0 draw against bottom of the table West Ham on Saturday when with two minutes to play, Song headed home from a Clichy cross to win the game for Arsenal and ensure all 3 points for the Gunners. It was a very frustrating afternoon for the Arsenal as they had a feast of chances but failed to convert them, hitting the woodwork twice in the second half. Rob Green in the West Ham goal kept it at that score for the majority of the game and seemed to now have his confidence back after his dreadful error for England at the World Cup. West Ham had times to remember though as they thought of their win at the Emirates a few seasons back being the first team to beat Arsenal on their new ground.

The resistance from Rob Green started early on when Sagna found Fabregas inside the box but Green managed to spring to the other end of the goal to keep the Arsenal skipper from scoring the first goal of the game.

West Ham then had a decent chance to break the deadlock when Mark Noble ran at the defence and then drove a shot towards goal but the effort was straight at Fabianski and he kept it out comfortably.

Both sides were pressuring each other well and Song had a great chance to make it 1-0 but Green kept the shot out well, diving down to his right hand side to get hands to it. The ball then came out to Nasri but he scuffed his shot and the ball went out of play. Arsenal were having all the play and they were awarded with a corner which was taken by Nasri onto the head of Squillaci. The ball was dipping underneath the bar and Green had to tip the ball over to make a brilliant save once again.

The score at half time was 0-0.

Arsenal early in the second half were awarded with a free kick a long way outside the box after Boa Morte was booked for bringing down Denilson. Nasri took it and he surprisingly went for goal. He smashed the shot towards goal and instead of Green saving his team the ball thundered past him and onto the cross bar. It would have been a spectacular goal.

Arsenal then had a feast of chances in quick succession. The first one from Cesc Fabregas was blocked by the face of Scott Parker. The second chance almost fell to Chamakh but Gabbidon managed to get in the way of him. The third then fell to Fabregas again but his shot was then blocked again. The ball then came to Denilson outside the box who struck a crisp volley towards goal but once again it was kept out by the West Ham defence. Heroic defending from the Hammers defence to keep the score deadlocked.

Arsenal then brought on some fresh legs in the shape of Theo Walcott who scored twice on his return from injury in midweek against Newcastle in the League Cup.

Before the sub Arsenal had got a free kick. Arshavin delivered from the dead ball to the head of the person you would most want the ball to fall on to the head of, Marouane Chamakh but he planted his header straight into the hands of Robert Green from 6 yards out.

Arsenal then came even closer to scoring when Theo Walcott raced clear of the defence down the right hand side and fired his shot across the face of goal but only to see his first shot of the game strike the post.

West Ham then got a rare opportunity to maybe snatch all 3 points but Da Costa headed his effort straight into the hands of Fabianski.

Walcott then had another great chance to win the game when he cut inside onto his left foot and struck the ball towards goal but his deflected shot was saved well by Green. Arsenal could still not brake the resistance of Green when Fabregas saw another of his shots saved well and away from danger.

It was looking as though it was just going to be one of those days but Arsenal finally got the breakthrough and broke West Ham's resistance grabbing the goal they much deserved from the game two minutes from time. Gael Clichy cutting inside onto his unfamiliar right foot down the left hand side and delivering the ball beyond Green onto the head of Song who could not miss from a yard out to give the Gunners the all important 3 points.

The final score ended Arsenal 1-0 West Ham

The teams lineups:

Arsenal: Fabianski, Sagna, Squillaci, Koscielny, Clichy, Arshavin(79), Fabregas, Nasri, Denilson(67), Song, Chamakh(90).
Subs: Szczesny, Eboue(90), Djourou, Rosicky, Walcott(67), Vela, Bendtner(79).

West Ham: Green, Jacobson, Da Costa, Gabbidon, Ilunga, Boa Morte, Behrami(90), Parker, Piquionne(73), Obina(87).
Subs: Stech, Reid, Tomkins, Faubert(87), Barrera(90), Kovac, Cole(73).

My man of the match: Overall: Rob Green(West Ham) Arsenal: Alex Song

Referee: Mike Jones
Attendance: 60,086

No comments:

Post a Comment